While there are close lines in duties and responsibilities of an Advisor and Mentor Advisor; the Mentor Advisor is more focused on the assist aspect of the Train, Advise, and Assist (TAA) mission. If properly conducted, mentoring complements advising allowing a unified concerted effort in the progress of the Afghanistan National Defense and Security Forces (ANDSF). The Mentor Advisor understands most of the cultural issues, ANDSF relationships, and history and is capable of providing continuity for the coalition force, supported by cultural explanations. A Mentor Advisor is the “shadow” in which the ANDSF counterpart can confide. A Mentor Advisor, to be effective, must understand body language and expressions. He/she must be able to assess best methods to present new materials and goals in a way that is “palatable” to the ANDSF.
Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Provide training, advise, and mentoring to Ministry of Defense (MoD)/Ministry of Interior (MoI) personnel in order to enable Afghan officials to achieve a self-sustaining ANDSF capable of fiscal transparency and accountability of funds belonging to the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GIRoA)
- Advise and mentor MoD/MoI officials on the oversight and use of GIRoA funds received by direct contributions and ensure funds are utilized in accordance with all applicable GIRoA laws and regulations.
- Become an expert on the law.
- Attend and participate in regularly scheduled meetings.
- Provide detailed analysis in weekly execution reports and contract validation reports.
- Have a working knowledge on both United States Government (USG) and GIRoA standard financial systems and budget processes.
- Advise and mentor MoD/MoI officials on how to develop and implement budget formulation processes and procedures.
- Strengthen payroll processes by linking to personnel database.
- Develop and implement budget formulation processes and procedures.
- Advise and mentor MoD/MoI officials on how to perform budget execution management functions for release and control of funds.
- Ensure monthly reconciliation of payroll forms to ensure accurate payroll accountability.
- Mentor and monitor all pay related activities within the MoD/MoI to include coordination with banks and the Ministry of Finance to ensure bank issues relating to MoD/MoI are monitored, reported, and corrected. Advise on recommended corrective actions and solutions as needed.
- Regularly report to management of progress and recommend areas that require intervention. Make recommendations to management on pace and issues involved with transfer of budget management to MoD/MoI leadership.
- Produce reports to include, but not limited to, mis-coding reports, end of year reconciliation, trip reports and information papers as needed
Minimum Requirements and Education
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Management related field (i.e.; Management, Finance, Economics, Accounting, etc.)
- Prior military experience at the E-7 level or above; or government experience at the level of GS-11 or above; or civilian equivalent experience.
- Minimum 5 years of financial management experience in either the military, governmental capacity, or Afghan blue book, Hale memo, FMO Standard Operating Procedure, budget manual and have knowledge of Afghan procurement civilian equivalent.
- Experience in program or project management; office automation programs, such as Microsoft Word, Office, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Must be capable of becoming familiar with areas of ANDSF logistics, Decree and Policy implementation and ANDSF financial management procedures and policies.
- United States citizen.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Interpersonal communication, influence, and interaction skills that are effective in a complex strategic environment.
- Creative problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, with harmony and tact in a cramped, austere, combat environment.
- Possess a final (not interim) DoD SECRET Level Security Clearance before deployment and maintain that clearance.
- Additional requirements may apply depending on the position.
If you would like to be considered, please complete an online application via our website, www.ottrainingsolutions.com under “Careers & Job Postings”. Also please provide cover letter outlining your experience, and any other items you want to include.
OT Training Solutions, LLC is a service-disabled veteran-owned small business (SDVOSB) that provides valuable services for training system support, and for business development to commercial and governmental organizations. OTTS delivers its services worldwide. Our skilled staff is available to provide expert monitoring and impart the real-world knowledge that leads to mission success.
OT Training Solutions, LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status or disability status